Sunday, April 25, 2010

Starbucks and Quiche

While running into Target I dashed to Starbucks because I was feeling low. My body needed my vitamins (which I failed to take today) because it's going nuts from all the bad foods (yummy birthday cake) I forced into it this weekend. I asked the barista if SB make their frappes with soy milk. Her reply was "not yet." What a fantastic sign of things to come. Instead I tried a passion fruit lemonade ice tea. It's time for another Annie moment: Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! Heaven in a cup. Try it, folks!
Our freezer has entered into the zone of the ridiculous. If you think librarians are anal, you haven't met honey when it comes to maintenance of the freezer and pantry. Today I knew it was time for him to clean the freezer because I couldn't find anything which simply means it's time to stop buying groceries and time to cook what we have. I started to chunk the pie crust until I remembered a dish I used to love back in my turkey/chicken eating days. Turkey cheddar quiche. I decided to try it again and I just finished eating true yumminess. The complete dinner was a slice with a side of strawberries. Here's the recipe:
1 cup shredded Italian-style cheese blend
1 cup veggie sausage (Hot & Spicy Morning Star)
4 medium green onions, sliced (1/4 cup)
1.5 cup soy milk
3 eggs or equivalent - i used egg beaters
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

Sprinkle cheese, sausage and onions over crust. In small bowl, beat milk and eggs with fork or wire whisk; stir in basil and red pepper. Pour into pie crust. It's better to make your own but I used a store bought crust.

Bake at 400°F for 30 to 35 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.

Oh, I figured out a lower calorie Pumpkin Muffie recipe. More on that to come. Right now I need to take the fastest shower in the world so I can watch Desperate Housewives!

No comments:

Post a Comment